Friday, September 4, 2009

Where's the punchline?

You've been on my mind, but I have avoided the blog for a week now because I haven't felt very funny. In fact, as I sit here and contemplate what to write about, my mind is completely blank.

I think I am so overwhelmed with trying to contact 110 students each week, grade 110 essays, respond to dozens of messages and emails from various people related to education that I am numb. However, at the same time, I'm aware that this isn't some special circumstance, it's my everyday job and it's no more difficult that anyone else's. But this thought just came to me - Is this why the entire population of America seems not to care about our current economic or political situation? Are we so busy working that we can't see 5 feet in front of our face?

Sure, we talk about how tough it is, but what are we really doing? We talk about how disatisfied we are, but what are we really doing about it? Nothing.

I can cut corners and cut expenses time and time again, but if I see a cute shirt in WalMart, just like the rest of America, I'll still buy it. Why? Because I want it, it's only $5, it won't make that much of a difference in my budget anyway. This is the wrong attitude. We are in a crisis right now - the status quo is not in our favor. Every cent, every minute, every word counts.

Sometimes my stomach knots up and my pulse surges and I want to scream. There is no reaction from the average Joe to anything that is going on. What good is some guy squawking on the radio or the T.V. when businesses are closing, neighborhoods are withering? Is he going to save them? No. He's just going to talk about the problem, like the rest of us. But, what can we really do?

No comments:

Post a Comment