Friday, September 4, 2009

Amish

I had someone ask me the other day how our "Amish" living is going. Some of you may remember how we started off the year with a vow not to buy anything we didn't "need". I was blogging about what I was NOT buying, but it just got so negative and brought me down. So, I changed the name from "Nothing New..." to "Everything New...". That doesn't mean we're out there buying up the town, but rather that we are in the same situation and choosing to look at it in a positive way.

Originally, I replied to this person, "Oh, that went out the window a long time ago." However, the conversation remained on my mind. Have we truly thrown away that vow? I don't think so. Our back patio is not graced with furniture, despite some great sales recently. Our kitchen does not boast 4 new barstools as I would like. After a trip to a resale shop, my son received 4 shirt-and-shorts sets from his Nana, to start the new school year. I bought C one little blue shirt from WalMart so that he wouldn't feel left out. For my birthday each year, I usually buy some fancy food item from the grocery store - a luxury not otherwise indulged - like Pepperidge Farms cookies, brie cheese and schnazzy crackers. This year, due to budget constraints, all I purchased was a quart of whole milk. Mmm, that frothy creaminess tasted so good.

So, I don't think that we have lapsed into typical American spending habits, I just don't care to blog about it anymore. :-) I'm finally happy to be content with the stuff I have and not talk about stuff I don't. In closing, I would like to quote my current favorite cartoon character, Pinky Dinky Doo. "And that's exactly how it happened, pretty much."

No comments:

Post a Comment