Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Steel Cut Oats for Breakfast

What did you have for breakfast this morning?  Did you even eat?

Breakfast for me is kind of like the oxygen mask in the plane - I have to get mine on first before I can help my kids.  I am substitute teaching right now and for this reason, I make breakfasts that are as nutritious as possible - that way my patience lasts a long time! :-)  Yes, I do have to get out of bed twenty minutes earlier so I can eat before my own children are awake, but it really does help save me time later.  When my body is nourished, I don't waste time looking for items that are right in front of me, I don't leave home without items I need, and in the classroom I don't waste time arguing with students who just won't work.  With food in my system, I can remain calm, think clearly, and be happy.

Here are the steps to one of my favorite options:




This rice steamer is one of the best kitchen items I have bought myself.  It was $15 at the PX and has saved many a morning for me.  I buy my steel cut oats at Aldi and as I have never had an adverse reaction to them, I trust that they are gluten-free although I have not emailed the company directly and would definitely recommend that you do so if you have a celiac diagnosis. 

I put in a spoonful of Troyer "first cream" Roll Butter, 3/4 cup steel cut oats (these feel like Grape Nuts), and 1 cup water and click the button to COOK.  This will take between 7 and 8 minutes.


Another fantastic kitchen item I bought was this small food chopper.  Our Pampered Chef SlapChop I think it's called broke last year when I dropped it on the floor (imagine that!) but it had a good life of 5 years or so, so I didn't cry over it.  After that, I would chop food in my Vitamix but in May, that also quit working.  [I didn't realize Vitamix machines carry 7 year warranties on them and I donated mine to Goodwill before I found out, dang my obsessive decluttering habits!  I had only had mine for 4 years and I miss it badly!!!]  But, anyway...

Chop up any fruit you would like to add to your oats when they're finished cooking.  This week, we found some tasty apples at our Farmer's Market and so that's what I've been eating.





When the COOK button clicks to WARM, transfer your oats out of the rice steamer and into a bowl.  Add 1/4 cup of Chia Seeds for added fiber.  Stir in your choice of chopped fruit and enjoy!

*Note* I also stirred in 2 Tablespoons of Justin's Organic Almond Butter for additional protein.  Yum!! :-)

Sorry, no finished product photo, I was too busy scarfing it!  Now, go eat!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment