Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sweet Gluten-Free Bread (for French Toast!!! :-)

Makes 2 or 3 Loaves, depending on the size of your pans.  Be nice and share with a friend!!

**A note before we get started...If you don't have time for your bread to rise or you don't have any warm areas in your house, simply DON'T preheat your oven.  Once you have mixed up the dough, put the 3/4 full loaf pans in the oven, THEN turn it on to 375.  Begin baking time when oven is up to temp. Simple enough? :-)  **  Okay, let's go...

First, mix these together in a medium-sized bowl:
     2 Tbsp. yeast
     2 Tbsp. any kind of sugar (I have used evaporated cane juice and coconut palm sugar,       but I'm sure plain old white sugar works fine)
     3 cups warm water (little less than HOT)

Next, mix these flours and other dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
     1.5 cups Sweet Rice flour
     1 cup Tapioca flour
     1 cup Sweet Sorghum flour
     1 cup Millet flour
     1/2 cup Coconut flour
     4 tsp. xanthan gum
     2 tsp. salt (I use fine sea salt but, again, I'm sure regular table salt works fine)
     2T flax meal

Using a wire whisk, in a small bowl, mix up these wet ingredients:
     6 eggs
     3 Tbsp. oil (I have used grapeseed oil, coconut oil, and even bacon grease)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

By this point, your yeast mixture should be foamy.  Pour the two liquid mixtures into the big bowl of dry ingredients and mix for 4 minutes with an electric mixer.  [My electric mixer broke so I mix by hand with a wooden spoon for approximately 6 minutes (or until my arm muscles give out, lol!)]  

Bread Machine Directions:
Scoop your dough into the bread machine and smooth the top of the dough.  I bake my bread using an 80 min setting that allows for 20 mins of kneading, 18 mins of rise, and 42 mins of baking. 
{Disclaimer: I do not have a bread machine so I don't know if these directions are accurate - I borrowed them from a friend.}

Conventional Oven Directions:
Scoop the dough into a greased loaf pan. Again, I use cold bacon grease. 
Allow the dough to rise in a warm area until it is 1 inch from the top of the pan. 
Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for 10-20 minutes more.

Remove from oven.  Cool 3 or 4 minutes and dump onto wire racks. The bread should not stick at all.  If it does, adjust baking time or temperature for your climate/region. [I'm currently in Kentucky.]


No comments:

Post a Comment